Stanley Cup Finals: Bruins Rally at home to win the game 1

Stanley Cup Finals: Bruins Rally at home to win the game 1
BOSTON - Torey Krug flew through the ice without his helmet, like his great and bad predecessors in Boston's defense since the days of Eddie Shore and Bobby Orr.

He lined up in downtown St. Louis Robert Thomas and knocked him off his skates, delighting the crowd and sending an unmistakable message to the rest of the Blues: the Bruins had woken up from their 11-day layoff, and were ready to fight for the Stanley Cup.

"I think he energized our team, and that's all you're trying to do," Krug said after Boston recovered from a two-goal deficit to beat San Luis, 4-2, in Game 1. Monday night "I wish I had given a boost to the boys on the bench."

Sean Kuraly scored to break the tie in the third period and helped with another goal, and Tuukka Rask stopped 18 shots to help the Bruins complete their comeback from a two-goal deficit. The second match of the best of seven series is Wednesday night.

Forty-nine years after Bobby Orr flew through the air to beat the Blues in 1970 N.H.L. Title, the Bruins got goals from defenders Connor Clifton and Charlie McAvoy.

Brad Marchand added an empty basket with about three minutes to go, but the unofficial deciding factor came when Krug got off the ice after losing his helmet in a fight with David Perron against the Boston net.

"You know, you do not want to mess with that guy," Clifton said. "Do not make that guy angry."

Jordan Binnington made 34 saves for the Blues, who had not returned at the end since they were swept by Boston in 1970. But it was Boston who fought a long layoff, at least at the beginning.

Inactive since May 16, when the Bruins completed their sweep of the Carolina Hurricanes, they saw St. Louis in the lead of two goals before coming out of their dream.

Brayden Schenn made a 1-0 lead midway through the first period with a third-shot shot. In the first minute of the second, David Pastrnak was left careless behind the Bruins' net and Schenn was there again, this time to pass it to Vladimir Tarasenko in the slot to put the 2-0.

"I think we can be even better, and we have to be," Perron said.

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy admitted that the long layoff from the Eastern Conference finals may have left his team rusty.

"Free time, you still do not have your advantage for the battle," he said. "We were not happy with the way the game was going, we were not playing our game, we were not playing at our level, and I think after the second goal, that woke us up."

The Bruins continued to beat the Blues, 18-3, in the second period, ending the game with a 38-20 advantage.

"After that, I was more or less a spectator," Rask said.

Barely 76 seconds after Tarasenko's goal, Clifton threw a pass from Kuraly to reduce the deficit to one. And in the middle of the second, in the fourth power game of the Bruins in the game, McAvoy came halfway and passed it over Binnington's glove to tie it.

He was still tied at five minutes of the third when Noel Acciari, to the left of Binnington, made a revolving movement and passed the record to Kuraly. I stabilized him with his skate and then pushed him with his cane to give the Bruins their first advantage in the game.

"In the second period we stopped skating, we gave it back and we gave them momentum," said Blues coach Craig Berube. "I thought they were the best team after that."