Man accused of murder and kidnapping of Mackenzie Lueck

Man accused of murder and kidnapping of Mackenzie Lueck

On June 28, more than a week after Mackenzie Lueck, a senior at the University of Utah, disappeared after taking Lyft home from the airport, police arrested and indicted a 31-year-old man named Ayoola Ajayi on suspicion of aggravated murder, aggravated kidnapping, Obstruction of justice and desecration of a body.

According to Associated Press, Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown told reporters that Lueck had been communicating with Ajayi electronically on June 16, the day before his death, although he did not say whether it was through an application.

On Thursday, June 27, police identified Ajayi as a person of interest, the Salt Lake Tribune reported. Video footage showed the police digging holes in their backyard, which is located in the Fairpark area of ​​Salt Lake City. Several bags of evidence were taken from the scene. Then, a day later, I was arrested at an apartment complex in West Temple.

Neighbors told authorities they saw Ajayi use gasoline to burn something in his yard on June 17 and 18. "A forensic excavation of the burning area was carried out, which resulted in the discovery of several charred items that were consistent with Mackenzie's personal items, Lueck," Brown told reporters. Charred female human tissue that matches Lueck's DNA was also found.

In addition, private contractor Brian Wolf told that Ajayi approached him in April to quickly build a soundproof room with a fingerprint lock and head-up hooks on the wall. "He said he wanted to sit there and listen to his music as loud as he wanted," Wolf said of the request, which seemed odd to me, so I turned it down. When he saw that Ajayi had been arrested, he said that his "heart had fallen."

The police had been looking for the 23-year-old girl, who was returning home from California, where she had attended a funeral for her grandmother. Lueck, originally from El Segundo, California, sent a text message to her parents after her flight landed at Salt Lake City International Airport around 1 a.m.

According to a statement from Salt Lake City police, Lueck was taken to Hatch Park in North Salt Lake, where he was last seen in the early hours of June 18. On Tuesday, CBS reported that Lyft's driver told police that Lueck had met with an unknown individual, put his purse in the person's car and left with them.

"The detectives spoke with the Lyft driver and learned that Mackenzie was found in a vehicle at Hatch Park," Salt Lake City Police Chief Tim Doubt told CBS News. "The Lyft driver left Mackenzie in the park with that person and stated that Mackenzie did not seem to be in any kind of anguish." The researchers said that Lueck and Ajayi's telephones were present in the park around the time they stopped receiving data. The police were investigating if anyone had helped Ajayi.

Ashley Fine, a friend of Lueck's, told that she and Lueck's other friends had been calling her phone non-stop. "We're millennials [not answering the phone] is very, very unusual, even if you're missing or want to disappear, you have to turn on your phone with GPS," Fine said. Another friend, Juliana Cauley, called Lueck "the sweetest and most genuine person" in an interview with CBS News. "It's not like I'm going to get out of the network, and if I did, then I'd say," Fine said.