Fort Worth Shooting: Police officer charged with murder

Fort Worth Shooting: Police officer charged with murder

An American police officer shot and killed black women in his room on Saturday and was charged with murder.

Police in Forth Worth, Texas wrote on Twitter that Aaron Dean was being held in the Tarrant County Jail. On Monday, Police Chief Ed Krauss told reporters that Mr. Dean had left the force.

Tatiana Jefferson was killed after police responded to a call from a non-emergency neighbor.

Bodycam pictures show officers seconds after seeing her.

James Smith, 62, who called the police, said he was trying to be a good neighbor after noticing that Mrs. Jefferson's front door was open and the lights were on.

"If I never called the police department, she would still be alive." Mr. Smith told local media. "It does not want to call the police."

Allegations of police vandalism in black communities are a long-standing problem in the United States.

If Mr. Dean had not resigned, Police Chief Crass said: "I fired him for violations of various policies, including our policy of use of force, our policy of scale reduction and unprofessional conduct."

Earlier, Mrs. Jefferson's sister, Ashley Carr, said she was "killed by reckless acts" and requested a federal investigation.

Civil rights attorney Lee Merritt, representing the family, said: "The investigation should be handled by none other than the Fort Worth Department."

He said that the department is one of the deadliest police departments in the United States.

Accurate data on police firing is difficult to obtain because local police forces are not required to provide statistics.

According to a database compiled by the Washington Post, police officers have killed 709 people so far this year and about 20% of the victims were black. The second-highest number of deaths occurred in Texas.

Candlelight Protest
Fort Worth residents protested in front of Mrs. Jefferson's home Sunday night. Previously planned as a vigil, the meeting became a demonstration as residents demanded justice for the 28-year-old victim.

Participants held candles and chanted: "There is no justice, there is no peace."

Defender Michelle Anderson said, "State-sanctioned violence has always been a culture for blacks." "This is not a training problem."

CBS News reported that Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price was present with vigilance, but was released after protesters shouted in reference to the officer, calling them "locked up".

What happened on Saturday
The shooting took place around 02:30 local time (07:30 GMT).

A lawyer representing her family said that Ms. Jefferson was playing video games with her eight-year-old nephew to investigate and shoot noise outside the window.

The officers involved did not park their marked cars in front of their house and did not identify themselves as police.

The murder of Ms. Jefferson comes two weeks after 31-year-old Amber Gagger, a Dallas police officer who was convicted of killing 26-year-old Botham Jean.

Last year, Gaigar shot and killed Jean while eating ice cream in her apartment located less than 35 miles (55 km) from Saturday's incident.

Gaiger testified that he mistakenly thought he was in his own apartment and believed that Jean was an intruder.

During the trial, Gager admitted to shooting "an innocent man".