Portland mayor riots were declared with tear gas by federal agents

Portland mayor riots were declared with tear gas by federal agents
A Portland riot was announced just after midnight on Thursday after Mayor Ted Wyler's tense visit with protesters - he was disregarded and asked to resign, given a list of demands and tear gas by federal agents.

A report stated that his visit ended with his security details, in a struggle with the demonstrators late on Wednesday evening, when they worked to bring the mayor to safety.

Earlier, he moved with the protesters to the fence outside the federal court where he stood in front and was tear gas with the crowd, according to New York Times reporter Mike Baker.

Wheeler described the tear gas as an "exaggerated reaction", telling Baker that he saw nothing in the crowd justifying the reaction of federal officers.

"This is not a strategy to reduce escalation," he said. "This is an uncovered urban war and it is being brought into this country by the president and it must stop now," he added.

When Wheeler left, some of his demonstrators tried to pressure against his security team as soon as he entered a building. According to Baker, others threw water bottles and other projectiles at the glass door.

Portland's City Council passed new policies on Wednesday that immediately ban all members of the police office from working with federal law enforcement and prevent them from deliberately detaining or using force against journalists and legal observers.

Wheeler had joined the protesters in the city center earlier in the evening to attend a hearing where he thanked them for opposing the "occupation" of the Trump administration to the city in the deployment of federal agents.

"I think what we are doing tonight is actually the best thing we can do now," Wheeler told hundreds of crowds after asking a protester how federal officers can get out of the city, according to KGW-TV. "Be here, be heard, unite, and be clear. We did not want them, we did not ask them, they were not trained in what they are being asked to do. We want them to leave."

Wheeler, who has repeatedly said that he opposes the deployment of federal officers in the city, almost drowned out for screaming and cynicism and calls for resignation, and he shouted loudly when he told a demonstrator that he did not support the abolition of the police station.

Then he addressed a crowd much larger than a high balcony, saying "I'm here tonight to stand with you." He received some chants when he chanted "An important black life!" With the crowd.

Some protesters also threw fireworks at the court and tried to shoot down the fence that was set up outside.

Wheeler, who is also the police commissioner, was accused by some of not holding back the local police, who used tear gas several times before federal agents arrived early this month in response to nearly two months of night protests since the killing of George Floyd. Others, including business leaders, condemned Wheeler for not controlling the situation before federal agents arrived.

Post a Comment