Boycott NBA: Most of the players want to continue the qualifiers after the night talks, according to the report

After the Milwaukee Bucks refused to play the fifth game in the first-round series against the Orlando Magic Wednesday in reaction to the shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha, Wisconsin, a shock wave was felt around the NBA and other leagues as players stood in solidarity not to continue playing. All three NBA matches were postponed on Wednesday, and the NBA players and coaches held a meeting that evening to discuss next steps to take. Players addressed their concerns about whether they should continue playing or whether they should continue to strike to send a strong message to those in power. Although no official decision has yet been made, the Lakers and the Clippers were reported to be among a minority of teams pushing to end the rest of the season in protest.

Another meeting of the players is scheduled for Thursday morning at 11 a.m. ET, where they will re-meet to see what plan goes forward. While there are concerns that the season may be in jeopardy, there is optimism that the majority of players want to continue the qualifiers, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

NBA players have not demanded anything they wish to see happen before they agreed to resume play. However, LeBron James is reported to have said that he wants the owners to take more action, and be more involved in bringing about social change. If LeBron and the Lakers, as well as the Clippers, do not want to continue playing, it will be increasingly difficult to see a world in which the NBA resumes its season without the first two teams in the Western Conference. Miami Heat veteran Odonis Haslem echoed those sentiments during last night's meeting, telling attendees that without the Lakers and Clippers, how the season will continue, in Sun Sharania.

Players and coaches across the league have spoken with heavy hearts over the past few days in the aftermath of Blake's shooting, with a Kenosha police officer shooting him in the back seven times as Blake's children watch in the car. Earlier on Wednesday, Raptors players discussed the possibility of boycotting Match 1 of their second-round series against the Boston Celtics, but with Bucks out, it is now unlikely that the Toronto match will happen on Thursday, Voinarovsky said.

Raptors goalkeeper Fred van Fleet told reporters on Tuesday that in order to make a stronger statement and bring about tangible change, players would have to "put in something to lose, not just money or vision." The Bucks' decision not to play Game 5 sure made a strong statement, and now the league and its players will have to decide where they plan to go from here.

Post a Comment

0 Comments